There is a giant spider lurking in my upstairs bathroom.
Yesterday was his first day there. I know this because I saw him in the morning, and he was scrambling around looking for a place to hide, rippling all his long, jointed legs across my tub and walls. Clearly he was unfamiliar with the location and was looking for a place where he could get settled and be safe. That was my prime opportunity to get rid of him, of course, but I did not. Why? Because he scared the crap out of me. And because I was meeting a friend at the gym in 15 minutes, and 15 minutes is clearly not enough time to get up the courage and proceed with the act of killing a spider. I don't think I could have even found the right weapon to use in 15 minutes (since one must carefully consider what object you don't mind having lingering spider guts, and this guy was clearly going to leave a mark).
So at this first encounter, we both danced around in a frightened panic, then took a long pause where we carefully considered each other without moving, each hoping the other would just vanish, and then I turned out the light and closed the door. I took a few seconds to send Joe an email warning him that his assistance was needed and could he maybe get off work early (it was only 9 a.m.), and then I left for the gym. I avoided the upstairs bathroom all day, keeping a wide distance from the closed door and using the downstairs bathroom when necessary.
Joe came home while I was playing tennis, did a first inspection, and found nothing. I came home, recommended a more thorough inspection, and still he found nothing. So now I am using the bathroom and boldly leaving the door open...but I know he's in there. My nerves are on edge the entire time I'm in the little room, and my eyes are constantly scanning the walls, corners and crevices for a glimpse of his dark not-so-little body and any movement from those long, creepy legs.
But he has won. I allowed him to get comfortable, to settle into a safe hiding place, and figure out to avoid me. Now it will be just after I am comfortable, just after I stop looking for him, that he will make a mistake and come scrambling out, scaring the crap out of me and starting this entire process all over again.
Would you describe this spider as "big and crunchy"? Or did you call that spider in our apartment "thick and crunchy?" I think it was the later of the two...
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, and how big is "giant"? Give me something for scale.
ReplyDeleteThick and crunchy, most definitely. This spider is certainly of the crunchy variety, but I don't think I'd say thick. His legs aren't as thick. They're long..and you can see all the joints, which is gross.
ReplyDeleteHe is giant compared to the albino spiders that are usually what I find in our house. 3 inches long, maybe?