Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Catching Up

I made a new year's resolution to write in my blog more frequently. So far I'm following the well-established success pattern of most new year's resolutions.

Despite the lack of posts, I have been making some progress toward my goal. I've been writing down little reminders of things I've noticed throughout the days that would merit a blog post. My desk is covered with sticky notes and little scraps of paper. It's finding the time to translate the sticky note that says "whistling old dude" into a post that's been giving me trouble. And since I can't stand the litter on my desk anymore or the guilt of my post-less blog (seriously, does anyone even think to look at this thing anymore?), I'm going to catch up on all my notes in one big post. Here goes!
  • Joe stepped on a nail on New Year's Day. After we decided he wasn't going to die of tetanus, we went out to clean up the blood from the deck and were amazed. It seems that while hopping on one foot and cursing loudly, Joe managed to cover the entire space of our deck at least twice, including making the step between the two deck levels. Anyone who's seen an intoxicated Joe at a wedding dance knows his talent for hopping on one foot, but this was really impressive.
  • I've been so busy with work that I had to go out and buy new underwear because I couldn't find the time to wash mine. I almost had to go out and buy round two, but Joe gallantly offered to wash my undies--as long as he didn't have to fold them. That required far too much touching of girl underwear.
  • The albino spiders are exhibiting March madness in my house again. None have dropped from the ceiling onto my lap yet, but I've been finding them everywhere: on the fridge door, on papers on my desk, crawling down the window pane next to my reading chair, just hanging out on the floor near my foot... Needless to say, I am diligently adhering to my shoe-shaking rule before inserting my foot in anything.
  • We went skiing in Utah a few weeks ago with some friends from grad school. We had fresh snow two of the three days, but true to Lingle tradition we left the day the real snow began. I think some of the other ski trip attendees have posted pictures and videos on Facebook and tagged me, but I'll try to get some posted here for you non-Facebook folks. Right after I post those Christmas pictures I've been promising...
  • I had a tennis lesson yesterday where I was attempting to relax enough to hit the new serve I'm trying to learn. Apparently it worked, because I hit a fantastic serve that was big and powerful and beautiful, but I also farted while standing two feet from my pro (I don't think he heard so please don't tell him). That was the last successful serve of the lesson. I'm going to have to develop a Serena-esque grunt to mask that if it continues to be a problem.
  • And finally, the whistling old dude. I was walking downtown on a beautiful sunny morning with a cup of coffee from my favorite coffee shop, when an elderly man across the street from me started whistling. Thankfully it wasn't the kind of whistling that I've blogged about before, but the happy, tune-full whistling where you can actually recognize a melody, complete with vibrato. We were the only two people on the street, me on my side with my cup of coffee and he on his side with his, and the clear sweet notes of his whistled Frank Sinatra song echoing off the buildings. It was like something straight out of a movie, and it made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment