Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Swiss Cheese State

A few of you commented on my last post that my story of "pregnancy brain" and the shower door didn't strike you as an example of being particularly forgetful. I know everyone has moments of brain lapse, but I don't think I've adequately conveyed to you just how much my memory is like Swiss cheese these days. To help prove my point, I've compiled this list of all the things I've forgotten since Monday (which presented kind of a conundrum, let me tell you). Let me also point out that there are multiple references to lists, that I am not regularly a list-maker, and that these lists represented my last resort to stay somewhat organized...
  • List of questions for my doctor, left sitting on the kitchen table where I would see it and remember to take it to my appointment
  • New list of questions for the doctor made while trying to recall the first forgotten list, which ended up never leaving my purse because I forgot it was there
  • Gift card to Lowe's, left sitting on my desk where I set it after printing it immediately before driving out of my way to the nearest Lowe's to use said gift card
  • Visa gift card, left sitting on my desk where I'd used the computer to register it immediately before driving to Target to use said gift card
  • List of items to buy at Target with gift card
And some examples of the things I've forgotten at work:
  • The meaning of categories in a drop-down list in our company's timesheets, which I created, and could not remember even after our office manager pointed out I'd selected the wrong one
  • Three different documents promised to employees on three separate occasions, which they kindly reminded me about in very gently-written emails
  • The name of the program that turns Word documents into PDFs, replaced with "that PDF program thing" a minimum of four times in a single five minute conversation
And finally, one last tidbit about the shower door incident:
  • Though Joe showed great sensitivity by not laughing or making fun of me during and immediately after my display of reduced mental processing power (at least until I started laughing first), he has since thrown all sensitivity out the window and found humor in the incident long after one would have thought possible. His new routine after showering in the morning: "Help! Help, I'm stuck in here. I'm stuck in here by your washcloth and can't figure out how to get out through this stupid door..."

No comments:

Post a Comment