Harper is a month old today! She celebrated the occasion by upgrading to size 1 diapers this week. Well, first she celebrated the occasion by having several blowouts in the newborn size diapers, and then her parents wised up and strapped some 1s on her bum, and everyone was happier.
She has also started to max out the length of her newborn clothes. They're still plenty big width-wise, but when she stretches her legs out in her sleeper, the seams from the little footies to the crotch are very, very tight.
I bought this little green outfit for her and she almost didn't fit in it!
I tried putting her in a few of the 0-3 month clothes we already have stockpiled for her, and her legs and arms didn't reach the ends of her pants and sleeves. It seems she's either got to be squished into slightly small clothes or swimming in slightly large clothes at this point. I personally am excited to dive into the drawer of 0-3 month clothes, though. There are many cute outfits waiting for her! It's like dressing a doll--a very squirmy doll who pukes frequently, but still a cute doll.
As far as one-month developmental achievements, Harper can hold her head up pretty well when she feels like it (generally right before she drops her head to puke down my shirt), and she spends most of her time awake watching me, Dad, or the window. She really likes the window. She can follow me with her eyes if I move very slowly. Still no smiles except for the ones when she's asleep, but hopefully that will come soon.
Harper also slept for two 4.5 hour stretches last night, which means Mom and Dad are feeling incredibly rested today! Joe even went for a mountain bike ride on the extra-challenging trail this morning because he had so much energy. (I personally think he might have been a little silly to blow all that energy reserve before 10am this morning, but to each his own.) For once Harper has put herself to sleep in her bouncer chair, so I've been able to eat, shower, take a few pictures and write this post all in the time between feedings this morning, which has to be the most productive hour and a half I've had since she's been born. Let's hope she keeps this up long enough for me to clean the house a little--and that I'm motivated enough to spend my precious free time cleaning the house.
Here's what else happened this week:
- We took Harper on her first visit to Dairy Queen. If French Silk Pie Blizzards can flavor milk, that's what she enjoyed four hours later.
- Dad clipped her fingernails with a fingernail clipper instead of spending an hour trying to file them down. This was much more taxing for Dad than Harper, as he tried not to clip off her entire fingertip.
- A rather unkempt man in Target saw me pushing Harper in a stroller, asked how old she was and whether she was a girl or boy, and then said "I don't know what your opinion is, but to men, babies aren't cute until they're about six months old. Until then they just look like drowned rats." Since I'd just told him Harper was only a month old, I wasn't really sure how to respond. I opted for removing my dear little drowned rat from his presence as quickly as possible, and making rude remarks about his own appearance silently to myself.
- Harper launched a rocket poo all over Joe, which Joe told me about in anguished terms for about half an hour. I tried to tell him that it's happened to me twice--once about 30 seconds before my co-worker showed up to meet Harper, leaving me to greet my co-worker with a spreading stain of poop water on my shirt--but he didn't seem to hear me.
beautiful pictures! the outfit with the bees on the toes was always one of my favorites.
ReplyDelete