Monday, September 27, 2010

The Monster Returns

Harper made it through my second solo weekend without incident, despite my prediction of three new teeth and another round of sleepless nights. She slept like her usual angelic self and we had a much better time together because of it.

This weekend, however, she decided to show Dad what he'd missed out on the first weekend he was away. Last night she was up about once an hour, kicking, coughing, and sneezing out giant green boogers. Are boogers a symptom of teething? I don't know how she can be just fine all day, and then suddenly develop a nose full of snot 20 minutes before bedtime. I'll lay her down to eat one last time before bed and suddenly she's snorting and wheezing through a plugged up nose, and instead of falling asleep in my lap, she'll fall asleep only to startle herself awake coughing on a booger she inhaled with a deep breath. Where do these things come from? And how do they know it's bedtime?

After several rounds with the snot-sucker I finally retrieved some of what was in her nose, but new stuff quickly replaced whatever I removed. I think Harper actually likes the snot-sucker. She smiles whenever I get it out and holds very still while I stick it in her nose. While I appreciate the complicity, I'm not sure it's healthy to like having something stuck up your nose. I see disappearing M&Ms, raisins and other small objects in our future...

Long story short, she seemed to have some of the same symptoms she had two weekends ago, when the pointy little tooth corner appeared. I haven't been able to see anything new in her mouth today, though, so maybe the corner just grew a little--or thought about growing.

She had her four month check-up today, where we got official confirmation that we have a long, skinny baby: slightly above average for length (25.5 inches) and slightly below average for weight (13.5 lbs). Despite a pretty sleepless night our little monster was very happy and talkative for the doctor. So much so that he said "She's a very bonding baby. I think she'll have a high EQ." I can see how a smiling baby might lead you to say that, but other than that, I'm not sure I really understand the diagnosis. She grabs people's fingers and attempts to shove them in her mouth...does that make her friendly? Then again, maybe my perspective is just tainted because I was awake half the night sucking her boogers. After all, she did smile at me as I did it.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:48 PM

    I wish Shelby liked the booger snatcher! She screams when she sees it and turns her head back and forth trying to avoid contact with it. If you're open to it, you could try letting Harper sleep in her car seat for a night to see if she does better. Being inclined like that worked for Shelby while her cold was at its height; she's now back in her crib and is doing just fine sleeping all night there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We put Harper in her swing, which has a similar shape as the car seat. It's a definite improvement over the crib for now.

    ReplyDelete