This past week Harper suddenly started crawling! It's really more of an on-land swim move, but it gets her from place to place. The first time she did it Joe and I just looked at each other because we weren't sure if she'd accidentally propelled herself forward by sheer luck and a lot of limb flailing or if she'd actually intended to do the breaststroke to move forward a few inches. Then she did it a second time and all I could say was, "We are soooo not prepared for this."
I was referring to the fact that she'd made her first forward progress straight for the pile of shiny presents under our Christmas tree complete with fallen needles, glass balls and hot lights. We've since picked up the needles, moved some decorations and put safety thingys in all the outlets. Luckily she can't get anywhere too quickly so those small baby-proofing measures have been enough, but we're going to have to step up our parent duties pretty quickly. No more plunking her down on a blanket and coming and going as necessary to get things done...which basically means a whole lot less of getting things done. But it's a whole lot more of playing together, so I think it's worth it.
In other news, thanks to those of you who wrote notes of encouragement after my Breastfeeding Dilemma post. The week of midnight pumping lasted not quite a week, because getting up in the middle of the night is just way too exhausting. Plus it didn't seem to make a difference in my supply, so this weekend I bought our first can of formula. I haven't used it yet because I'm hoping we can make it through our holiday vacation together just nursing, but we'll see how it goes. She's been crying when we're done nursing, but I think that's mostly because she loves to eat and doesn't want it to end rather than that she's still hungry. She would eat whatever you gave her until she was so full it came out her nose, I think. For being such a peewee she sure loves food. Maybe all this extra eating means she'll fit into her 6-9 month clothes before she hits 8 months. Though if she keeps up this new swim move she'll be burning all those extra calories pretty quickly...and her arms will be more buff than mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment