Friday, January 14, 2011

And So It Begins

I found my second gray hair today.

Why didn't I post when I found the first one? Because I thought it was a fluke. Why did I think it was a fluke? Because it was in my eyebrow.

Yes, I said eyebrow. The right one, to be exact. When I found the first one a month ago I thought maybe it was just one of those wild hairs that you sometimes get that grows in the wrong direction, or is curly when all the rest of your hair is straight, or is kind of red instead of the usual brown. This particular hair was really long and gray on the bottom half. I happened to rub my eye in front of the mirror and suddenly it appeared, sticking straight out and twice as long as all the others. I'm hoping that it had always been tucked in among the other hairs and not rearing its long and ugly head when I was out in public.

Anyway, I noticed the hair because it was long, and then was amazed because it was so gray. I didn't attach much significance to it (though I did note that it was just two weeks before my 30th birthday) and went on my merry way. And then today I found another one in the same spot, because, though I didn't attach much significance to finding the first one, and claimed it was a fluke, I've checked that spot every other day for a month.

So maybe finding the first gray hair was a little significant after all, but it's the second one that's making the first one matter, because it seems to negate my one-time-only wild hair idea. I think it would have less of an impact if these singleton gray hairs had showed up on the top of my head instead of my eyebrow. I've never colored my hair and always figured I'd start when I needed to cover up gray hair. That seemed normal. But coloring your eyebrows?! I didn't even know that was something people did, though apparently it is because I saw it on the price list at my salon (yes, I looked it up).

I suppose I should be glad that I'll only have to pay to color my eyebrows and not the significantly larger expense of my entire head, but I was kind of looking forward to finally having an excuse to pay for color and highlights. Paying to color my eyebrows is a far less exciting consolation prize for the first confirmation that I'm getting old.

1 comment: