Thursday, February 03, 2011

The Hot and Cold of It

Ever since I got pregnant I have been hot. Not sexy hot (what, you're not surprised?), but temperature hot. This was an incredibly unusual feeling for me, because until that point I have always been cold. I've always been the person wearing a sweater when others are wearing t-shirts, slippers when just socks should do, socks to bed while Joe roasts in bare feet, numb fingers despite my gloves.

While I was pregnant, however, I was too warm to wear my big fluffy sweaters (those I could still fit into), and I actually needed less blankets at night than Joe. In fact, when we moved into our new house I closed off all the heat vents in our bedroom because I was so darn hot at night. I never even unpacked my slippers.

I thought maybe all this would change after I had the baby, but all winter it's been the same toasty story. Until two weeks ago when I stopped pumping during they day. Since I needed to supplement Harper's bottles with formula anyway, it only took a few weeks to cut back to nursing only at night and in the morning. And within one day of making that change, my hormones reverted to their chilly selves.

I must have subconsciously known it would happen, because on the last day of pumping I told Joe, "You know, this new house is so much warmer than our old house. I used to freeze working at my desk during the day, and I was always wishing I had some fingerless gloves to keep my wrists warm. Now I'm toasty all day! I don't even wear my slippers. I don't even know where my slippers are!"

Oh, famous last words. The next day I was frantically searching for my slippers. And wool socks. And gloves. And big fluffy sweaters. Of course it doesn't help that Denver has had record cold temperatures, but I was also wearing my slippers when we celebrated a record high last week.

I suppose reverting to being cold all the time has been a good thing, because apparently I had a lot of warm clothes still packed in boxes. Tomorrow I'm going skiing for the first time in two years (!!) and it took all evening to locate my down coat and ski jacket. Thank goodness they were packed in a box with the toe and finger warmers, or I'd probably still be digging through the boxes in the basement. Now if only the rest of me would follow suit and revert to its pre-pregnancy state. Like my bra size. Or the presence of muscle in my abdomen. That can happen any time now.

No comments:

Post a Comment