







We've been at out kitchen remodel for about a month now. We ordered the cabinets when I got back from Australia, and they've been sitting in our garage since the end of May. Joe and I and our friend Nick who's living with us for the summer (as if there wasn't enough geology talk around here already) did all the deconstruction, tearing out a wall and all the existing cabinets. Every process has taken about fifteen more steps and WAY more brain power than we had originally thought it would because, as cute as our vintage brick house is, it's also an old brick house, which means really strange construction and a lot of things that aren't exactly standard--or up to code. We hired a handyman that had an advertisement in our neighborhood paper to help us with the construction part. Turns out he has a master's degree in English literature. I think that's all I'm going to say about that.
Of course, along with demolishing lathe and plaster comes much dust, which makes arriving at work in black pants that actually look black quite a challenge. There's about an inch of very fine white dust over absolutely everything in the house. This is partially because about 70 percent of what we own has been moved into the living room to accomodate for this demolition. We packed up everything in the kitchen and dining room, leaving out three bowls, three spoons, three pint glasses, and a stack of paper plates. Yes, the pint glasses were essential.
No comments:
Post a Comment