





President's Weekend Joe and I went to Rocky Mountain National Park and attempted to hike to Chasm Lake at the base of the east face of Longs Peak. I say attempted because we ended up turning around about one mile short of the lake. It was a gorgeous day, nice and sunny, but once we got above tree line the wind was blowing at about 60 mph, and we had to walk right into it. I seriously had trouble standing up straight during the strongest gusts. I had actually wanted to turn around before the first .5 mile was over, because despite the 5 minutes I spend on the exercise bike at the gymn, it appears I'm not in very good shape for hiking. Joe of course did not break a sweat the entire trip (and hence vetoed my vote for an early turn around). So I thought making it within viewing distance of Longs and above treeline was quite a success. We'll go back in the summer...when it will still be windy and cold up there. But maybe I'll be motivated to spend a little longer on the bike at the gymn so that it won't feel like my heart is going to explode after only twenty minutes on the trail. Maybe. But probably not.
On the drive to the trailhead we pased this stone church in front of Mt. Meeker. In the middle of nowhere up in the mountains, after looking at big valleys and peaks and a few small cabins, you come around a corner and see this church in a small valley. It's very striking, and a beautiful church.
No comments:
Post a Comment